Monday, September 27, 2010

What's my future?

I've been thinking a lot this weekend about what I want to do after I graduate. Today, during my 6 hour shift at Bath and Body Works, I couldn't get the idea of being a teacher out of my mind.

When I was little, I wanted to be a teacher but I had HUGE temper problems and was scared I'd lash out at a student. I've gotten a lot better, but I'm still a little worried I don't have the patience for the job.

When we talked about why we deserve to be writers in class, it was really hard for me to come up with reasons why I should be. Don't get me wrong, I want to be a writer so bad, but it doesn't come naturally for me. I'm too much of a perfectionist and my mind is too ADD to stay on a topic for more than a sentence.

So, while standing behind the register at work this weekend, I once again found myself wondering what it'd be like if I was a teacher.

In elementary school, I used to give myself more assignments to do. Some kids played house growing up, I played teacher. I would think of fake assignments for students to do. All throughout middle and high school, I would think of ways I would assign things if I were the teacher. If I enjoyed a particular assignment or found an easier way to learn something I found myself making mental notes, like, "Too bad my teacher doesn't do an assignment like this. If I were a teacher I would."

I've also always had a natural curiosity about things. I can spend HOURS upon HOURS looking up things on the internet. Is there a job with this? Because I'm pretty sure I would rock it.

If you think I'm kidding about the hours on the computer, my friends joke that it is my child. The other day I went to a friends' house for dinner and she didn't have wifi and I was counting the minutes until I could go home and get on the internet.

I also love helping people out with things. I love showing people how to do things and helping them get it. I've always felt like I can make people understand things. Sometimes I feel like if I can understand it, then pretty much anyone can.

I've been going back and forth between an Advertising and Public Relations major, but I can't see myself  in these fields (unless I do something with a nonprofit.) I don't want to work at an agency, and I don't want to represent a company's communication department. I'm completely lost for what I want as a career, but I KNOW I would love to teach.

But I know I want to do more than teach, but I just don't know what.

What do I do now? How do I find the job I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment