Sunday, September 19, 2010

Stand Up to Cancer Telethon

My roommates and I stumbled on the Stand Up To Cancer special a week ago and I'm so glad we  did. Normally I think telethons seem really boring to watch, but it was amazing to hear and see all the different people who've been affected by cancer.


I had no idea all the greats who've died from cancer. Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, John Wayne, Jack Lemmon, Mr. Rogers, Peter Jennings, Farah Fawcett, Dennis Hopper, Patrick Schwayze...


I had no idea that Katie Couric was a widow. Her husband AND sister both lost their lives to cancer, and she is doing great things for cancer awareness. She had both a colonoscopy and mammogram ON AIR to raise awareness about both cancers.


It was also terribly sad to hear stories of everyday people affected by cancer. They showed a woman who lost her husband on her wedding day and a curly haired boy who lost his fight with the disease.

Rob Lowe from Brothers and Sisters wore a shirt that said "In Memory of Mom."


 Denzel Washington said some powerful lines about what life would be like if no one stood up for moments in history like Valley Forge, Iwo Jima, A bridge in Selma (civil rights),...etc.  He said, "We're here because they did ((stand up)), because we know what's possible when enough of us stand together."


What got me the most is when Patrick Swayze's wife spoke during the telethon. Her husband spoke at the first SUTC telethon in 2008, and it was  his first network TV appearance after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. When she spoke on stage,  a video of Patrick's speech played on the big screen behind her. Patrick begins saying, "Tonight I stand here just another individual living with cancer." 


It was incredibly hard to watch Lisa Niemi (his wife) stand on stage as her Patrick's speech echoed throughout the auditorium. I can't imagine talking about my husband's death on national television, while a video of him speaking about the disease that would kill him played behind me. It was such a powerful moment in the telethon and I really admire her courage to speak about something so personal.

All of this inspired me to find out more about SUTC and see how I could help.

I decided to visit their website. This is what I saw when I went to the site.  It makes me happy.



I've always wondered how much you have to donate in order to talk to a celebrity for these things. It's something worth researching, that's for sure. Phone convo with George Clooney? Yes, please!

 Here's a guy who donated money to Stand Up To Cancer, and recorded his phone conversation with Aubrey Plaza, from NBC's show Parks and Recreation. He was genuinely surprised he got to talk to someone! Take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment