Thursday, October 28, 2010

Find of the Day #2: A jewelry delivery truck in NYC? A Duke student makes a racy PowerPoint?

In continuing with this "find of the day" theme I started here, I have some really great stuff to share. I'll get to that in a minute.

I heard on the radio the other day that the average American watches four hours of TV a day. I started thinking about it and I hardly watch one hour a day, but the number of hours I spend on my computer is, as Rachel Zoe would say, UNREAL. I've been working on stuff in Gaylord College (journalism school at OU) since 8:30 and it's 1:15 AM. The WHOLE time I've been on my computer. This really showed tofay when we got into groups in my Intro to PR class (something we NEVER do in college!) and listed as many networking/two-way communication sites we could think of. I started listing off websites like StumbleUpon, Reddit, Delicious, etc. and none of these people knew what these sites were! At least I have a little something to show for my obsession.

One of the many things I've been wrestling with in the last week (yes, it's really minor but still worth mentioning), is how much I speak up in my PR class. It's a fairly good-sized lecture hall; there are around 100 people in my class. My professor is Russian and she always likes to ask questions (all of which are really easy, and she ALWAYS accepts your answer), and yet no one wants to speak up in the class. This is completely contradictory to one of my classes taught by a French professor (from France, accent and everything). I feel COMPLETELY inadequate in this class and even when I complete the reading I feel as if I have no idea what's going on. He asks all of these hypothetical, obscure questions and I want more than anything to be able to participate but I have no connection, no idea what to say on the material. It doesn't help that the professor is looking for a particular answer. Anyway, I literally spoke up in PR class for EVERY question our professor had and I don't know if my classmates are annoyed or not. I know firsthand what it's like to have a know it all speak up and answer EVERY question and I really don't want to be that person. But everything she asks seems so much more like a conversation than a professor giving a lecture. I mean we talked about Youtube today. I really don't want to be THAT girl.


OK, on to the cool stuff I looked at online.

Random, but cool.

First off, I found these TOMS shoes made specifically for the city of Austin. I'm jealous. It would be really, really rad if Norman could get some. But then, who wants a pair of shoes with the word Norman on them?

Second really awesome thing I looked at? Shenae Grimes, an actress on a TV show I watch, tweeted this picture when she was in NYC for Fashion week. Pretty sure I'm obsessed. Yes, this is an ice-cream truck for jewelry. As the last-minute, perfectionistic night-owl I am, I think it would be really cool to have delivery trucks for clothes and jewelry, especially in party cities. Can you imagine going to a drive-thru window or ordering clothes and accessories to your door before you go to a late night event? You heard it here first! ;)

The final discovery that's been occupying my time is reading about the Duke Sex Girl's escapades. I heard about the girl at Duke that wrote about sleeping with several players on the Lacrosse team in my Intro to PW class. Today while looking at a national online magazine for college women, I saw a post about this girl's PowerPoint and a link to it. A website had posted the PowerPoint, blacking out names and faces in photos. I read the girl's "report" and was amazed. It was a guilty pleasure that I even shared with several friends. I know it's wrong that she rated these guys sexually, that they are all embarrassed and going through a rough time as the media covers it, but it was still really interesting and entertaining.

She rates the guys based on physical appearance, performance, athletic talent, size, etc. If you are looking for something to do, take a peek at her ppt slideshow on Jezebel.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment